The Biblical Institute serves everyone who wants in-depth study of the Bible and prayerful reflection on Scripture within a Catholic faith community.
- Parish Bible study facilitators lead groups more confidently as they learn a holistic approach to Scripture and how to use Bible study resources.
- Parish catechetical leaders and pastoral ministers integrate Scripture more effectively into their ministries as they build on the Bible study from their ministry formation programs.
- Deacons find it helpful in the preparation of homilies as they expand their knowledge of the Old Testament and their understanding of its relationship with the New Testament.
- Catechists of children, youth, and adults gain skill in using Scripture in their teaching and answering questions about how Catholics approach the Bible.
- Lectors and Ministers of Care deepen their proclamation of scripture and prayer with God’s Word.
- Any adult seeking to deepen their relationship with Christ or bring Scripture into family or personal life can find learning and transformation.
We cover the entire Bible in four years. The program is composed of two phases. New students are asked to commit to the first two years.
Basic Biblical Studies: Years 1 & 2
In this phase, we focus on methods of study and praying with the Bible, the basics of the Catholic approach to Scripture, and systematic study of the major books of the Old and New Testaments.
Year 1: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings
Year 2: Mark, Luke, Acts, Pauline Letters, John, Letters of John, Revelation
Advanced Biblical Studies: Years 3 & 4
In this phase, we cover all remaining books of the Bible and delve deeper into the themes studied in the first two years.
Year 3: The Prophets, Psalms and other books of the Old Testament
Year 4: The Wisdom books and other books of the Old Testament, Matthew, New Testament letters, Hebrews
Participation can be applied to catechist formation requirements. Students who complete each phase of training receive certificates in basic/advanced biblical studies from the Diocese of Joliet.
Anyone can join! No specific Bible study background is needed and non-Catholics are most welcome to participate.
We equally emphasize academic learning and holistic, personal formation.
Lectures and readings give students the basic biblical scholarship they need to understand the Bible as contemporary Catholics.
Homework, small group discussions, community prayer, and instructor guidance promote the deepening of each student’s faith experience.
Classes meet weekly for two hours, September-May.
All our instructors have graduate level Catholic education in the Bible, as well as a solid understanding of Church guidance on how Catholics read and interpret the Bible. Each instructor also has extensive experience teaching Scripture and other faith-related subjects to Catholic adults.
Our instructors share a passion for helping adults experience the power of God’s Word. The goal of this ministry is to deepen the understanding, faith and practice of all who participate in the Biblical Institute.